Visible security barriers keep criminals at bay
03 August 2010
Physical security barriers that stop home invaders from actually getting to you are a logical but frequently overlooked element in one's home security equipment. Here are some tips from Trellidor on how to use them to keep criminals out of your personal space.
- Secure every single external doorway and window with burglar proofing. This could be an expensive exercise, depending on the size of your house, but why leave an opening unsecured? This will definitely be the one robbers select to break in through, even if it looks too tiny or too high. They are past masters at making a plan.
- Buy the best home security barriers you can afford. There are lots of cheap alternatives out there and if you're just going for a visible 'stop' sign that will discourage burglars, that's fine. But if you seriously want to keep them out, make it as difficult as possible with the strongest trellidors and burglar bars you can find.
- Make sure that your security gates and burglar bars are visible to any robber thinking of attempting a break-in. Home security that can actually be seen acts as a deterrent, encouraging thieves to move on to an easier property. If criminals don't see any barriers, they'll assume your home isn't secured and will get too close for comfort.
- Ensure that the home security products you select do the job you expect. Burglar bars that are fitted to your window without a frame of any sort are far easier for burglars to kick out than a framed one, no matter how strong the material used for the bars. Framed or semi-framed units secured into the window substrate (wall, lintel or sill) with the correct fixings are far better at withstanding a concerted attack.
- Plan an escape route in case your security is breached or fire breaks out and you can't use the doors. It's imperative to have burglar bars that slide open on at least one window so that you can get out through them if necessary. Your home security must protect you, not imprison you.
Trellidor franchises have a wide range of window security options, including Trellidor fixtures for windows in both retractable and fixed formats. They also supply Cottage Guard burglar guards and their newly launched Trellidor Burglar Guards in four different styles and are happy to help residents in their areas with their home security equipment decision making.
View the Trellidor Products
Trellidor offers a free security assessment of homes when they're called in to quote.
Take a Risk Assessment yourself
If you need finance to secure your home properly, Trellidor has linked up with Finconnect, who will guide applicants through the process of financing Trellidor security barriers at competitive interest rates.Press Releases