Tips that keep Criminals Out
16 July 2009
Choosing security gates : Tips that could save your life
There is a confusing array of barrier security products available on the market, ranging from off-the-shelf DIY gates to Trellidor's top-of-the-range Trojan, which has been certified strong enough for high security access control such as in London's Underground Rail network. Each has different qualities, which inevitably come to the fore once a system has been breached. Questions are then raised as to which is the better method of keeping criminals out.
A barrier's integrity is made up of a number of factors that need to be weighed up. A gate made of very thick steel, for example, will be difficult to open or close in a hurry and may very well have a weak lock that provides an easy access point for burglars.
Consumers need to arm themselves with information before making a decision and Trellidor offers the following watch points:
- There is a place for off-the-shelf security barriers, particularly if price is the critical factor. Customers need to be aware of what they are purchasing, however, and must not expect such products to do the type of protection job that custom made, professionally fitted and guaranteed products would do.
- Custom made barriers are made to fit each individual aperture, increasing their strength and integrity. ‘Best fit' requires precise measuring and specification of the correct product by an expert, custom manufacturing, and installation by a certified fitter.
- Reputable barrier security manufacturers offer extended guarantees, including against corrosion, and after-sales service because their products are reliable and do the job for which they were intended. Customers need to be aware of this when making their purchase and decide for themselves whether this matters to them or not.
- One of the most vulnerable points on security gates is the lock and criminals know this, so even old-fashioned solid steel gates can be easily breached. Make life more difficult for them by opting for locks that have been tested.
- Modern materials such as Trellidor's steel roll-formed components are lighter in weight, making security gates easy to operate even for the very young and old. They also provide increased flexibility and strength, so will bend with blows from criminal's tools, rather than snap like rigid steel.
The bottom line is that it makes sense to fit the best security you can afford to protect your home and family. When in doubt, consult the experts. They should be only too happy to help you with a security assessment and to answer questions about their products.
View PDFPress Releases